Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Apathy sets in

Yesterday was quite a productive day for me.

I was up at 5 a.m. when Daniel went to work. Around 6 a.m. I drove home. I ate half a box of girl scout cookies for breakfast. Then I went to work.

I've been toiling with changing my hair color. (Daniel insists he can do it for me with the aide of his mother who works as a hair stylist.) So I hopped on the computer and began uploading pictures on Instyle.com where you can snatch celebrity hairstyles right off their heads and and attach them to your face. Sweet. I have been coveting Jennifer Garner and Jennifer Aniston's hair for many years now. (Or maybe it's really their faces I covet...)

Unfortunately my computer connection is slow and moving through the various stages of the 'makeover' process was like watching paint dry. No matter. I have all the time in the world. I spent about 4 hours on my computer yesterday trying to find my next hairstyle, going through photos on my computer, and tooling around on Facebook.

Around 10 a.m. Kelly called and saved me from my virtual makeover obsession. Kelly has been out of the workforce since she graduated college in December of 2001. Since then she got married and has been raising two daughters. Kelly starts her new job tomorrow: lab assistant at an Ethanol plant. She is excited but nervous. I think she's going to do great. I am so excited for her opportunity! In the same breath I would be lying if I said I wasn't jealous that she will be working and I will not be working.

As Kelly and I talked, I got dressed and made my way out of my apartment and down to the ocean. Two hours breezed by as I walked and talked. Eventually we got off the phone, and I realized how long I'd been walking and talking. I then also realized how far away I still was from home. My normal fast paced walk had turned into a dawdle about an hour and a half into the walk. By the time I got back home, I'd been walking for 2 hours and 45 minutes. My face was tanned, and I was sweaty.

When I returned home I got back on my computer for more virtual hairstyling. (I truly believe if I had a faster computer connection, I probably wouldn't have spent so much time on the website.)

This is what I meant to do yesterday:

1. go for a walk or something active. (Yay! Achieved!)
2. shower and shave my legs
3. write
4. post on blog
5. clean my apartment
6. bake
7. send in my cobra payment
8. fill out my unemployment form
9. apply for more jobs
10. hop on USA track and field website and figure out exactly how many miles I walked

This is not what I meant to do yesterday:
1. Sit on duff watching TV
2. Sit on duff playing on computer

I am becoming rather apathetic to this whole unemployment thing, and it's not a good quality. On top of the abnormal amount of girl scout cookies I ate for breakfast (though, really, I swear they are smaller in size this year), throughout the rest of the day I ate, two hot dogs (I was starving after my walk), six waffles, and nearly an entire stick of butter. How gross is that? (Though I did wash everything down with five bottles of Dasani. Yay me for drinking more than the recommended amount of water in one day.) Unfortunately I have nothing in my refrigerator besides mass quantities of butter. (I have a major butter compulsion. I cannot pass by butter in the dairy case when it's on sale without grabbing at least two boxes. Butter is expensive! And totally necessary for baking and eating.) No food items in my apartment can really be put together to constitute any type of meal.

Today I plan to do this:

1. grocery shop for baking items (done!)
2. shower and shave legs
3. post on blog (nearly done!)
4. write
5. send COBRA payment
6. stay off Instyle.com and Facebook (so far so good!)
7. walk or something (it's sad that I used to have Olympic dreams and now my only exercise has been reduced to walking)
8. find a job
9. drive to Daniel's house where there's food, water, and someone to keep my hands away from the girl scout cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Who I am

I am a more than capable 31-year old with a wide variety of professional experience contending with first-time unemployment and a shocking complete halt of income.