Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Karma karma karma karma karma camera!

This autumn something completely unprecedented happened to me when I was in the market to buy a camera: I got it for free!

The camera was the new Samsung dual-view camera, purchase price: $300. I mistakenly got it for free when the company I purchased it from lost their records that I had picked the camera up at the store. (I was doing one of those purchase on the internet, have it shipped to the store dealies.) After a week of having the camera, I got an email from the company saying that my credit card was being refunded for the purchase of the camera and the extended warranty.

I admit, I felt bad about keeping the camera. I toiled with calling the store and telling them to charge my credit card. Telling them I really had picked up the camera! But after thinking about it for awhile, I thought I might sound like a crazy person since they clearly had no record of me picking up the camera. Also, I felt justified in keeping the camera. It was karma finally swinging my way for once.

Last Friday, karma swung the other way.

My best friend since the age of five (Kelly) was here this past weekend for a visit. Let's take tons of pictures! she said as she brought out her camera. I brought mine out, too. I couldn't wait to show her the dual-view feature. I pressed power on my camera and the lens opened. Nothing else happened. Assuming the battery was dead and that after charging the battery I'd be able to close the lens/turn the power on, I charged the battery to no avail. The battery didn't hold a charge. Or there's something wrong with my camera. Either way, the camera needs to be fixed. I can't get the lens to retract.

As it happens, there is a one-year warranty through Samsung. I could send my camera in to be fixed with proof of purchase; only I can't find my receipt. (Yes, I did get a receipt from the store when I picked up the camera.)

Another one of the joys of unemployment: not having money to fix your camera when it's broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Who I am

I am a more than capable 31-year old with a wide variety of professional experience contending with first-time unemployment and a shocking complete halt of income.