Search This Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2010

A little at a time

Some people like to sleep in bed alone. I prefer having Daniel there with me. Originally it took some adjusting. Getting used to, maybe. Having someone in the bed with me every night certainly wasn't usual. At first there were nights when I would barely sleep because every time he moved, I would wake. The other day I noticed that we slept a solid six hours with his arms wrapped around me and his knees curled up into the back of my knees.

I know tonight will be weird -- sleeping without Daniel. I think I'm procrastinating crawling into bed despite the fact that I'm noticeably tired.

Daniel left for Arizona today. He got a job with Aerospace Company Z in the Phoenix area. I am left behind to wrap things up before I join him out there. This summer has been an emotional roller coaster for me -- on the professional level. I lost my unemployment compensation at the beginning of the month after having had it for a mere six months. I had no idea I could lose my benefits. I assumed everyone got a maximum of 99 weeks with all the extensions that had been filed over the last few months and years.

Though congress passed the most recent unemployment extension this week, I still have no idea if I'm eligible for an extension.

As soon as I lost my unemployment benefits, I gave notice to my landlord. I have been moving out of my apartment for the duration of this month. A little at a time. I go where Daniel goes because, basically, he takes care of me. I am not proud of that fact.

I am hoping that I'll find a job once I get out to Arizona. I have friends and connections out there and because of that am somewhat optimistic that the job market will be better one state away.

Since I lost my benefits, I have been consumed with packing up my place, selling anything I can on Craigslist for cash, and hoarding as much money as possible. Little headway has been made in writing my novel. Really, there's no end in sight for me. Once I join Daniel in Arizona we will be busy settling into our apartment and I'll be busy looking for a job. Hopefully soon I'll get some reprieve. Or just a tiny amount of downtime so I can get back to editing my manuscript. A little at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Who I am

I am a more than capable 31-year old with a wide variety of professional experience contending with first-time unemployment and a shocking complete halt of income.