Search This Blog

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Mrs. Unemployment

It's been a while since I've posted. Largely in part because nothing is happening with the job search but also because there has been a lot of drama in Daniel's life to keep me busy. It appears that all the drama is now finally behind us, and things are back to normal. Normal for me has become this:
  • eight-mile walks along the ocean (which, I have to say, were far more fun when two of my best friends were available for long phone chats on a daily basis. Both have since gotten jobs, leaving me behind in unemployment dust and vying for the attention of other friends/family members who are available to 'walk' with me.)
  • Six Feet Under marathons
  • putting lots of effort into planning, shopping for, and preparing evening meals as well as healthy snacks. I'm a regular at the grocery store as Daniel and I decided we need to eat fresh fruit on a daily basis and try to incorporate more vegetables into our dinners. I also shop for miscellaneous items Daniel needs around his house. Candles, laundry detergent, matches, etc. Oddly, I enjoy grocery shopping. There's something almost soothing about the task. Sometimes when I'm taking long ginger walks through the grocery store aisles pushing a cart full of miscellaneous items I fantasize that people think I'm a housewife. (Being a housewife seems far better to me than being the unmotivated, out-of-work loafer that I feel I am.)
  • housework
  • routine job searches
  • baking (on Tuesday I delivered three pies -- Strawberry, Banana Cream, and Peanut Butter Cream -- to my old coworkers at Aerospace Company X.)
  • waiting for Daniel to come home from work to have actual human interaction
At a glance, my normal life does read like that of any housewife (save for the routine job search part). Sometimes I feel a bit like Sandra Bullock (minus the whole celebrity aspect) when she was quoted saying something to the effect of ... one of the things that she enjoys the most in her life is the non-celebrity, normal person stuff like being with her family, picking up the kids from school, grocery shopping, housework, etc. (Thank God Daniel is nothing like Jesse James.) I don't mind not working. I don't mind making the bed in the morning, doing the laundry, grocery shopping, etc. In the past three months I've gotten used to a simple life. I feel like I've settled into being Unemployment's housewife. Call me Mrs. Unemployment perhaps, but right now things aren't so bad. Is that scary or realistic?

I have another couple months before my COBRA subsidy and unemployment benefits run out. If I had to guess, I think if I reach that point; I will no longer enjoy being Mrs. Unemployment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Who I am

I am a more than capable 31-year old with a wide variety of professional experience contending with first-time unemployment and a shocking complete halt of income.